Acceptance Parenting is, for me, the perfect recipe. It’s my aspiration as to what type of a parent I want to be. An ideal towards which I progress every day.
I believe it is very applicable to all conscious parents. Read on to find out.
Acceptance Parenting – As a parent
- Let your mantra be – Children are not here for us. We are here for them.
- Accept your role as nurturer only.
- Belive that children are born, good natured, guileless and compassionate. They do not know how to manipulate or hurt willingly. They learn that from us.
- Accept their innocence.
- Respect them as you wish to be respected.
- Accept that children are like us with strong emotions, preferences and personality that needs to be acknowledged and respected.
- Children have limitations with communication.
- Connect with them to understand not only the what but the why, the apparent and the underlying.
- Accept their limitations.
- Children exhibit challenging behaviors because they need help emotionally.
- Rely on your intuition to recognize the emotion behind the behavior.
- Accept your inner voice.
- There can be no such thing as punishment. They are not offenders and there can be no judgement. There can only be guidance.
- Accept to guide while being kind, empathetic and compassionate.
- Children know their needs, wants and interests best. Our role is limited to providing exposure, encouragement and support without expectation or judgement.
- Accept to relinquish control.
- Experts may guide. Books may preach. Blogs like this may inform. But every child is unique and only you know your children. Adapt advice to suit each child.
- Accept you are the expert.
- Love children without expectations. Love unconditionally.
Acceptance Parenting – As a human
- Let go of ego
- The first step to surrender control is to let go of ego and notions of “I know best”.
- Be confident
- Observe, introspect, analyse, research, implement. Whatever you choose, be confident in your decision.
- Be open to change
- Accept that we will make mistakes. Course correct without regret.
- Love yourself
- Love can radiate from you when you love yourself.
- Work to slowly erase your insecurities.
Presented here is just a synopsis. There will be posts detailing each point and much more in the coming weeks.
Does this style resonate with you? What would you change? Let’s talk about that!